These are short posts I wrote about things I was learning about software development, written as I learned them. These posts tend to be short, and not overly edited.
I write them because they make it easier to share what I've learned with others, on the chance that someone else doesn't know the thing yet, either, and also because writing things down helps cement what I've learned in my mind. When that cementing doesn't hold, sometimes I find myself wanting to look back at something I wrote about previously, so this is also in some ways a repository of notes-to-self about making software.
I was inspired to start this project by Josh Branchaud.
- Rails controller params can be accessed by string or symbol (with indifferent access!) ruby rails
- CSV.generate behavior change in Ruby 3 vs Ruby 2.7 ruby rails
- Manual change tracking in Ruby on Rails ruby rails
- Adding stack traces to versions stored by the Papertrail Ruby gem ruby rails
- Debugging strategies using binding.pry in Rails ruby rails
- Verbose Active Record query logs for Rails ruby rails
- Making Rails recognize code in subfolders of default folders ruby rails
- Getting all the records of a model created today in Rails ruby rails
- What's this tilde arrow thing in my Gemfile? ruby rails
- Deep dive into img attributes html
- Using Nunjucks shortcodes in Markdown files in Eleventy eleventy
- npx eleventy !== npx @11ty/eleventy node eleventy
- The Ruby splat operator can destructure arrays ruby
- I'm reading: 'A (Mostly) Complete Guide to React Rendering Behavior' react
- Using the beforeBuild hook to render Sass in Eleventy eleventy
- Continuous Integration: another definition devops
- Settings I want on a new machine tools
- How to open the current directory in finder from terminal on a mac tools
- How to make asdf recognize globally installed npm modules tools